My Soul’s Bridegroom in Cana’s Wedding – by Father Gabriel Alkass
In John 2:1-11, we learn of some disciples who were invited to a wedding, but what is the bridegroom’s name or relation? We don’t know. But we do know that two hours later, they ran out of wine. Mary then intervened and said to Jesus to do something about it. “Do whatever He tells you,” she said to the servants. They filled the six jars with water, and Jesus turned them into wine.
So, what do we get out of this short story?
- Turning the water into wine symbolizes what is yet to come.
- The upcoming is the Holy Thursday, the beginning of his ministry and 3-1/2 years when the wine will be turned into his blood. When he also said, “Do this in remembrance of me.” Every time we celebrate the Holy Liturgy, the wine becomes His blood. What a tremendous way.
- The six jars of wine were emptied. This symbolizes the people of the world that day and today. The wine symbolizes happiness, and by emptying it, we understand that the world is running out of joy. And that’s why Mary’s intercession occurred to save the situation by doing what the Lord tells us.
Why? Because He is the only one who can give us true joy. But if you make Him your soul’s bridegroom, you will get that joy.
Now we know why John never revealed the bridegroom’s name because the bridegroom represents the whole world.
Jesus is the bridegroom, and the church is the bride. And we know Jesus paid a high price for the bride by giving His life.
In the five wives and foolish virgins parable (Matthew 25:1-13), Jesus said, “all of them,” which meant all Christians – wise and foolish. And they all met him, the groom, carrying their lambs in their hands – this symbolized our body receiving the Holy Spirit. The oil was taken by the wise to represent increasing good deeds. But the foolish did not do this.
The bridegroom was delayed, and all of them slept. Then, at midnight, came to represent the day we don’t know but when we should bow to the Lord Jesus. This will be the everlasting wedding.
The parable says that foolish people will come late and attempt to buy the oil. This represents the people who went after many other things in life but not Jesus. When they returned and called to Jesus, He responded, “I do not know you.”
What a difficult day to be told Jesus would not know them.
So, the last point to make about the Cana wedding is on the first day of the Great Lent. This time is the time to get filled by the Holy Spirit more and more. “A harvest time,” as named by the Holy Fathers. This is a big field, and go into it to get what you need.
This is the holiest time of the year. How come the Holy Spirit and the grace of God surround you? You become a fruitful tree in the church.
This is the time to do three things.
- This is the perfect time to realize your work for Jesus
- Fight desires of the flesh and benefit your spirit.
- Learn how to fight satanic souls and conquer. “Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.”
Learn more from Father Gabriel’s sermon video here.
Our church lives thanks to your generous offerings and donations. Please make your tax-deductible donation here.
May 21, 2023